Prepare for Solar
Before making the switch to solar energy, members should understand their energy use patterns and consider low-cost and easy-to-implement efficiency measures before switching to solar. Doing so will ensure you get the most bang for your buck once you do invest. Make sure the energy you make from solar is not wasted.
Discover all the ways to save energy and get money back through YVEA’s programs:
- Log on to SmartHub to explore and better understand your energy use patterns. You can view your historical usage at the top of your bill or via SmartHub.
- Consider getting a home energy audit visit the Yampa Valley Sustainability Council to help you understand where your home is losing energy and what steps to take to improve the efficiency of your home. YVEA offers a rebate of up to $150 for residential audits.
- Use your appliances and electronics more efficiently or consider investing in highly efficient products like Energy Star appliances, smart thermostats, load control devices, etc. YVEA’s appliance rebates can help you make the switch. For more information visit the Rebates page.
- Switch to energy-efficient lighting, such as LED light bulbs. YVEA’s lighting rebates can help you make the switch.
- Weatherize your space. If you use electricity to heat or cool your home, this will significantly impact the amount of solar energy you need. Weatherizing your home and installing more efficient heating and cooling technologies will help reduce the amount of electricity you need to produce with solar.