Energy Hero Tip of the Month
Summer Energy Savings
While our YVEA service territory is known as an outdoor paradise with moderate temperatures and lots of sunshine, summers can get warm during the day. Stay cool and comfortable this summer with these no-cost and low-cost energy efficiency tips.
- Close blinds and drapes during the day to keep heat out.
- If you have air conditioning, set your thermostat to 78 degrees when you are home. Set it to a higher temperature when you are away.
- Turn off lights, ceiling fans and any portable fans when you leave a room.
- Plant trees and shrubs to shade the exterior of your home.
- Use solar lighting to brighten up your outdoor space. It’s low maintenance and uses the sun to generate electricity.
An electric water heater uses approximately 14 kWh hours per day.
That equals 405 kWh per month.
This equates to approximately $38 on your monthly electric bill.
Save energy and money by lowering your water heater thermostats to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. This will also slow mineral buildup and corrosion in your water heater and pipes.
Consider insulating your water heater tank, which could reduce standby heat losses by 25 to 45 percent and save you about 4 to 9 percent in water heating costs. You can find pre-cut jackets or blankets available from around $20.