It’s a great time to be smart about how your devices use energy. Being energy aware with your devices means decreasing their standby power loss (also called phantom load) when you are not using them. Here are some tips on how to do that:
- Unplug your devices: If you do not use an appliance or device often unplug them until the next time you need to use it.
- Use Power Strips: This allows you to control the power usage of multiple devices with the flip of one switch. Also, check out
- Advanced Power Strips. They make it easy by turning off idle electronics for you.
- Turn your device off: Turn off your device rather than leaving it in idle or sleep mode.
- Make Smart Upgrades: Consider purchasing Energy Star appliances. They have a lower standby consumption than your average device and use less energy year-round.