- Take your KWH used (found on your monthly bill) and multiply it by 55%.
- Then multiply that number by $0.006.
- This will give you the additional amount you will be charged that month to be a 100% renewable energy consumer.
Sample Green Choice Monthly Additional Charge
- If your monthly usage is 900 kWh per month x 55% non-renewable energy x $0.006= $2.97 additional Green Choice charge
- If your monthly usage is 1300 kWh per month x 55% non-renewable energy x $.006 = $4.29 additional Green Choice charge
- If your monthly usage is 2500 kWh per month x 55% non-renewable energy x $.006 = $8.25 additional Green Choice charge
Green Choice is a Renewable Energy Certificate (REC) program. In order to exclusively supply renewable power directly to your home or business, you would need to put a clean power generation source at your location, such as a solar array or wind turbine. The YVEA power mix is currently 45% renewable.
A REC (Renewable Energy Certificate) represents proof that one megawatt-hour (1000 kilowatt hours) of electricity was generated from a renewable energy resource. These can be sold separately from the physical electricity associated with the renewable generation source.
For a very affordable price, Green Choice allows you to participate in the renewable energy market. YVEA is mandated to have a certain percentage of renewable energy certificates. If enough of our members purchase them from us, it could require YVEA to purchase more RECs, thus creating more demand for renewable power generation.
A majority of our RECs come from Xcel, our wholesale power provider. Some additional RECs come from the local Stagecoach hydroelectric dam.
We will retire the RECs purchased through Green Choice in our tracking system, which will prevent anyone else from claiming them.
No, you can only offset the total amount of energy you use.
Yes! New as of May 2022, YVEA members in all rate classes may participate in YVEA's Green Choice Program.
All the RECs YVEA has are certified and registered with the Western Renewable Energy Generation Information System (WREGIS).